[TriLUG] mySQL/SQL books

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Sep 23 17:32:28 EDT 2003

Ryan Wheaton wrote:

> hey all...
>
> i'm looking to buy a good mySQL book, but would like something that
> also is a SQL coding reference.  Any suggestions?
>
> -r

Don't get a mysql book if you want a good SQL reference.  MySQL has made
no claims to its SQL compliance, and they have done lots to "bend" SQL
92 to their will.  I've got MySQL by DuBois.  It's a great reference
book for MySQL syntax, and since nobody's jumping onto 4.0 stuff it's
still reasonably up to date.  If you're just getting into database
programming, I'd suggest PostgreSQL over MySQL:  It's the closest to SQL
92 compliance, and very full featured.