[TriLUG] mySQL/SQL books

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Sep 23 17:59:14 EDT 2003

Ryan Wheaton wrote:

> well, i did not know that.  What i really need then is just a
> reference for mySQL.  It's what our app here at work uses, and i'm
> slowly becoming a sort of DBA for it.  Just wanted to learn some more
> and wanted a good reference because I'm sure that I'll end up having
> to do some mySQL programming.  I'll check out the duBois book.  Is
> there anything out there that isn't really covered by:
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html
> ?
> Or should i just print that off and use that?

The online docs are very good, if a little disorganized.  I tend to use
that more than the book anymore, though the quick reference appendices
in the book are first rate, and I have paperclip bookmarks marking their
locations.  I had to go back to do some mysql work this weekend, and I
realized why I like postgresql so much.  It may be a bit slower, but
having full transaction support is key.