[TriLUG] Unable to boot RH9 linux after installation

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 10:58:04 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Joseph Tate wrote:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>
> >Just curious, but if CD-ROM isn't bootable, and you have no floppy, How'd
> >you get linux on there to begin with?
> >

> The original post said harddrive installation method.

Right, but that doesn't solve the problem of how to boot the installer.
Here are ways I know of to boot the installer:
1) floppy disk
2) bootable CD-ROM
3) network boot through PXE, tftp, and other complex stuff

There is something called "loadlin" that allows you to boot a Linux kernel
from real-mode DOS (ie, Win95 or Win98 shut down to DOS mode).  But I
don't know if the installer can be booted from that or not, nor if it even
works with modern kernels.  I used it back in the Linux 1.2 days

--Jeremy