[TriLUG] Unable to boot RH9 linux after installation

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Wed Sep 24 11:48:34 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:00:16AM -0400, Adalita Brown wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a newbie and just trying to get my RH9 linux to boot.  Installed RH9 on my laptop via hard drive installation method.  Upon installation, GRUB does not load up.  Only able to boot either W2K or DOS.  Is it possible for me to boot linux from DOS or via BootMagic?  My concern with BootMagic is if enabled it will be configured on the 1st sector of the hard drive where /boot currently resides.
>
> More information:
> 1)  I have no floppy drive
> 2)  CD-ROM drive is not bootable.  I've tried changing the boot priority in BIOS but to no avail.
> 3)  Laptop is Compaq Armada 6500 series
>
> Is there another way around to get into RH9 Linux without altering my existing OS configuration?  Otherwise, I may have to invest a floppy drive for my laptop.  Or, I may go to a local computer shop and rent a floppy drive? I kinda prefer not to spend the money in buying one :-(
>
> Any suggestions?

Smart BootManager
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

You can install this little app via DOS, WinXXX, or linux on the boot
sector of your hard drive without hosing your existing install(s) and it
will boot just about anything: including your CDROM even if your bios
doesn't have an option for it.

If you are sure your CDROM is functioning normally and Smart Bootmanager
won't boot the CD in it then the CD itself is probably bad, get another
one.

Easy install and it has an option to backup your original boot sector
which it can then reinstall for you if you decide to uninstall Smart
Boot Manager.

I've used it for a couple of years I think now and have found it quite
useful.  Also has some other neat features for multibooting, like
booting a certain OS if it is a certain time of the day, configurable
timeouts, etc.

Read the docs at the site.

HTH.
--