[TriLUG] skbuff.c bug

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 15:42:32 EDT 2003

Question-

I have a reproducible bug manifesting itself in skbuff.c.  The problem
happens with smbd when trying to access user space, and results in
something to the effect of:

Kenel bug in skbuff.c:174!
Invalid operand: 0000

Googling seems to indicate I'm not the first to have this problem, but
offers no solutions.  I found his thread to be the most informative:

http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Nov/2577.html

It seems to have been a problem at least since about 2.4.12 and well
into the 2.5. development, but there is no indication of when it showed
up or if it was ever fixed.

Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?  I can't access userspace
without smb without crashing the system.

FYI, this is Mandrake 9.1 running what they call 2.4.21-0.25mdk and the
system is fully updated.

Thanks a ton!

Michael