[TriLUG] mySQL/SQL books

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Thu Sep 25 17:19:28 EDT 2003

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 03:54  PM, Scott Chilcote wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I wind up using the HTML manual that comes with MySQL quite a bit.
> Two books to recommend, though, although neither one is a complete SQL
> reference.

i also recommend the online manual for MySQL, altho it can be a tad
difficult to "browse" sometimes.  for a complete MySQL reference, try
"MySQL Reference Manual: Documentation from the source" written by the
man, Monty W. himself.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/qm79xf16z8/sm/0596002653

> The first is O'Reilly's "MySQL & mSQL", primarily because you can find
> it on clearance for $8 (I got it at B&N in Cary).  It has a good
> chapter on SQL and most programming language interfaces, but does not
> try to be comprehensive.

the reason these books are on sale is because the totally updated 2nd
edition has been released -- "Managing & Using MySQL, 2nd Edition" -- I
*highly* recommend this book, especially for those not very well versed
in MySQL or RDBMS.  (also, you can see they dropped the mSQL-specific
references to go with the more popular product).

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/qm79xfpy6m/sm/0596002114

> The second one is "MySQL Cookbook", from the same publisher.  I've
> gotten addicted to these $50 tomes for quick wisdom on how to
> accomplish real-world tasks.   The current one is for MySQL 4.0.  It
> may be worth waiting for the 5.0 version if you're planning on
> spending that much.

this is a fantastic programmers reference; not so good for beginners.
if you already understand your MySQL problem/challenge and want to find
a quick solution, this is a good place to look.  heh - just noticed
this one is written by Paul DuBois, as well.  for a tip on saving $$$
on these tomes, check Bookpool.com -- you might be surprised.

dave m.