[TriLUG] Smoothwall port forwarding

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Tue Sep 30 08:05:11 EDT 2003

ok.  this has been driving me nuts.  i got smoothwall 2.0 voyager all
up and happy, in fact, i'm posting from behind it right now.  it's a
GREEN + RED setup.

  anyways, i've got a webserver behind it and i have the firewall port
forwarding to the server.  i know all the risks of having a server open
to the world without a DMZ and blah blah, but hopefully this setup
won't be around for long.  i've been trying to test port fwd'ing from
inside the GREEN, and I can't hit the server.  I've been ripping my
hair out trying to figure it out, because my friends can hit it, it's
just me that can't.  then i found this:

http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/
viewtopic.php?t=1168&highlight=port+forward+green+access+inside

  and it says "You can not test any portforwarding from within your
GREEN network."

  and I ask "why?"

  My users need to have access to that webserver, and it would kind of
be a PITA to try and get them to use the internal IP instead of the
qualified domain name.  i guess i could go throw an entry in their
hosts file, but i'd rather it just work the way i want it to and route
the traffic.

  anyone know of a way to do this?

  -ryan -who is up too early changing out firewalls that don't act like
he wants and he's cranky.