[TriLUG] Hard Drives and Bare Metal Restore

Meyer, David R David.Meyer07 at ca.com
Tue Sep 30 09:10:27 EDT 2003

Good Morning,

I have had a question asked of me that I just don't know.  Actually, I
think I know, but I've never tried it.

One of our Open Source products at CA is our Bare Metal Restore product
for Linux systems.  The question is...

"If I havea  crash and replace my hard drive, and it happens to be a
larger hard drive than was in there when the DR media was created, will
it work?"

The limitation is not with our DR option...it just creates an image. The
question I have is, how will Linux handle it?  Will it just see a lot
more free space, or will bad things happen?

Dave

David R. Meyer
Computer Associates International, Inc.
Storage Consultant