[TriLUG] Linux is a monopoly???????

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Oct 1 16:53:59 EDT 2003

Michael Thompson wrote:
> http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=news_NewsRelease_09302003b
>
> I'm sending them my thoughts right now...

Despite some of the FUD statements, I don't disagree with
the article...particularly this line:

> The “Freeware Initiative” will require that all IT expenditures in 2004 and
> 2005 be made on an open-source/Linux format.

Just becase the software is open-source does not make it good.  The TCO is
an important and complex determination.  In many cases, commercial software
is cheaper than 'free' software, when TCO is figured in.

As an example, in the web load-testing arena (which I'm rather familiar
with), there are very few open-source offerings...and all the ones we've
surveyed are _severly_ lacking in features.

This requirement is no different than requiring IT departments to
buy nothing but Microsoft.  You might like it better, but it is
equally restricting...and stupid.

IT departments should be free to choose the most effective solution
to each problem...as it arises.

Chris (not-an-open-source-zealot) Merrill

Chris Merrill                      |  http://webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.               |  http://webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software