[TriLUG] sendmail 8.11.6 virtual Host

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 22:02:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 18:54, Nacho Garcia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m having problems with  sendmail VH can you help me?
>
> first of all,
>
>   it is absolutly necessary to had named working with two zones (realDom.com
> and virtualDom.com) ? or I can mapped them into /etc/hosts (just probbing in
> my intranet)

Mapping them via the /etc/hosts file will work for local connections as
long as every machine has the information in their /etc/hosts.

Sendmail may not deliver from one machine to the next, depending on your
Sendmail setup, but it will work for local delivery.

>   when I connect to POP/SMTP server can I use both of them? I mean, I´m
> user at virtDom.com and I try to connect to mail.realDom.com. It will Work?

Sendmail is an smtp server which means that it shuffles mail from one
place to another. If you want to download Mail, then you will need an
Imap or a POP server running as well.

Most POP servers only require a username (not username at domain.com), and
a password.

>   Do I need to create them (my real and virtual Users) as:
>

>       linuxconf --> add user user1 (as physic or POP user)
>        and then create him as Virtual POP user?

What version of Linux are you using?  Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, Debian,
etc...

Linuxconf is very out of date.  You might consider using Webmin instead.
In most distributions you can also use the useradd command.

>   I´m having problem with -ERR Bad Login
>

> Thanks
>
> Nacho

Good Luck Nacho.  You might want to look at this and see if it is
helpful:

http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/mailserver

Jon Carnes