[TriLUG] Using Java to read image properties

Ubqtous ubqtous at ubqtous.com
Mon Oct 6 22:26:13 EDT 2003

Owen,

On Monday, October 6, 2003, 7:37:23 PM, you wrote:

OB> No, this will not install anything on your server. The -D switch defines
OB> an environment variable to be used by the JVM once it starts up. Also,
OB> the CLASSNAME mentioned is the class you want to execute, which should
OB> be something like "com.mycompany.project.myclass", not javax.

Gotcha.

OB> As far as I understand it you should get the capabilities you are
OB> looking for without installing anything beyond a recent JVM.

It appears as though I don't have a stand-alone (if that's the proper
term) Java installation on my server, rather I've got Cold
Fusion/JRun's implementation of Java, which may not provide the
functionality the CF component I'm testing expects.

OB> You seem to be a little confused and on the wrong track. Maybe you
OB> should do some general reading via the links mentioned earlier,
OB> rather than getting to the specifics right away.

Yes, I am a little confused. I have been programming Cold Fusion for
several years, but I am relatively new to Linux and very new to Java.
So trying to troubleshoot something that involves all three has been
quite interesting.

OB> Also, you might want to repost this question on a Java development
OB> user group, as it is more specific to Java than Linux. Look at
OB> http://trijug.org/ (some of them run Linux in addition to being a
OB> source for Java help) or if you want to try TriLUG again, you
OB> could try the dev list rather than the general list
OB> (http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev).

I will do just that. Thanks for your advice.

~ Ubqtous ~