[TriLUG] Broadband Speeds

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 11:59:29 EDT 2003

The "dedicated bandwidth" of DSL is marketing bull.  Sure, you have your
own dedicated line back to the CO (Central Office), unlike cable where
you are shared with your neighbors immediately.  But once you reach the
CO, your DSL connection is still shared with your neighbors in whatever
upstream connection the company uses from there.  There's no such thing
as non-shared bandwidth in DSL -- for dedicated bandwidth you have to
pay much more, for a leased line or frame relay.  As you say at the end
of your comments, cable infrastructure is built to widthstand multiple
users, and the difference in the "point of sharing" has little
difference on the outcome.  The result is that cable is a better choice
IMO because of the ultimately higher speeds.  The 128kb/sec upload rate
of some DSL offerings is especially pitiful.

--Jeremy