[TriLUG] Re: Broadband Speeds

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Oct 8 01:51:11 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 18:11, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> The problems seem to vary from market to market.  People in Durham seem to be
> okay for the most part.  But out in Orange County and northern Durham County
> is the pits for RR service.  The people you get on the phone are pretty
> helpless, too, and completely unable to cope with patterns of problems.  i.e.
> "My service dies every time it rains."   The jerk on the phone says something
> like "Yes, well, it says here to unplug your cable modem and plug it back in
> after waiting 30 seconds."

I've had RR service in North Durham (Markham Ave. & Roxboro Rd),
Southwest Durham (Park Ridge Apts. on Hwy 54 near Woodcroft Plaza), and
in Hillsborough (Flint Ridge Apts.).  My observations indicate the state
of the neighborhood cable physical plant strongly correlates to quality
of service.  I had lots of problems in North Durham, and finally traced
it down to poorly installed cable in the house I was living in.  Got a
new run installed and everything get VERY nice.  The other places I've
lived have had good cable infrastructure and I rarely have problems.

--[Lance]

--
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.angelfire.com/nc/celebratethecircle/