[TriLUG] OT: Resizing AIX partitions?

Stephen Hoffman srhoffman at hofftech.net
Fri Oct 10 10:52:49 EDT 2003

as mentioned in the previous response, this will only work if LVM was
setup (which is the AIX default install)
but you can use the following command:
-->chfs -a size=+<size> /<FS>
where
<size> is a number followed by a suffix (i.e. 512M=512 megabytes, or 2G=2
gigabytes, if no unit is used then the default block size of 512 bytes is
assumed)
and
<FS> is the path to the volume to grow, so if you wanted to grow the
volume where the usr dir is then it is simply /usr

smitty/smit will do the same, but its kind of hidden in the menus: -->smit
chfs
will take you right to it.

HTH
Steve
> On Friday 10 October 2003 09:33 am, Joe Meador wrote:
>> Sorry for the OT message, but a professor yesterday asked me to install
software for him on a new IBM P Series server running AIX 5.  /usr is
100%
>> full and I don't have a clue if I can easily resize the partition. I've
never even touch an AIX box before and it feels quite different than
Linux!  Since this is obviously OT, feel free to respond off list if
you wish -