[TriLUG] Re: SpamAssasin archive assistance

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 13:42:55 EDT 2003

Hmmm, message text but no context provided.... Looks like a TriLUG
message.  The searchable TriLUG archives are at:
  http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug

Here is a snipette from a thread where a fellow TriLUGger was
front-ending his Exchange server with an external SMTP server (a linux
box), and he was inserting a spam filtering appliance into the loop.

I just installed a mail cluster for a client in which I replaced their
external SMTP server with a linux cluster running Sendmail, Mailscanner,
SpamAssassin, and McAfee's anti-virus scanner.  It works a charm.

The key here is to setup the external mailserver so that it accepts and
relays mail into the internal exchange server.  You can setup the
external server as the end-point for the mail, and then forward on the
mail using the aliases file (or virtual hosting), or you can simply set
it up so that it relays.

Either way, MailScanner will grab the incoming mail and apply your Mail
policy rules, then it will scan the mail for viruses (using an external
virus scanner like Sophos, Clam, or McAfee), and finally it will run the
mail through SpamAssassin to rank it's spam-ability.

After that, the mail is either relayed on into the internal exchange
server, or it is forwarded into various users accounts.

If you are going to use MailScanner (which I *highly* recommend - even
if you don't use a anti-virus program), then just read the install docs
and it will lay out the install of all the necessary parts.  The nicest
thing about MailScanner is that it lets you *easily* apply Mail Policies
like: don't allow any attachments with *.exe, *.com, *.pif, *.scr,
etc....  This alone will kill 95% of all the Windows virus flying
around.

I hope this is helpful,

Jon Carnes