[TriLUG] xterm scrollback won't stick

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 10 15:12:25 EDT 2003

This is an xterm option.  Try

  xterm -si

       -si     This option indicates  that  output  to  a  window
               should  not automatically reposition the screen to
               the bottom of the scrolling region.   This  option
               can  be  turned on and off from the ``VT Options''
               menu.

       +si     This option indicates  that  output  to  a  window
               should cause it to scroll to the bottom.

For a quick&dirty (in case you forgot to set this when you started
the xterm) you should also be able to use CTRL-S to stop the
terminal output and CTRL-Q to restart it again, at least in cases
where you're using a legacy TTY terminal driver...