[TriLUG] GUI Screensaver Froze-up Problem

Jturena at aol.com Jturena at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 17:05:54 EDT 2003

My Screensaver "froze". I do not know how to fix this problem...it has
happened in the past.

 I am running RH 8.0. (with a basic, all-default installation; in other
words, I do not know enough about the system to "set" and change anything yet).
 I am using GNOME as my default GUI.
 By default, while using Gnome, after a preset amount of time of dis-use, a
screensaver program will begin running.
 The program seems to run through a batch of separate distinguishable
screensaver patterns, one after the other.

 As the patterns are running their course, it happens that it will freeze
during the course of its run. The keyboard and mouse lose their functionality,
and I am left with a screensaver frozen in the middle of its pattern, with no
reasonable recourse, that I am aware of, but to "reboot" the system. Ugh!

 I am wondering if this isn't a glitch in the particular individual
screensaver script(?), and/or, a problem between my computer's graphic capabilities and
the script's requirements for running.
 It seems to me that it would be such a long drawn-out process for someone
with my limited knowledge, to fix, that I thought I would ask if this is a
'common' problem, and what I should do about it.
 I remember this happening to me before, in a whole other Installation, I
thought, and I only rebooted and carried on, but I know it made me very insecure
about leaving my GUI application open, and letting it go into screensaver
mode, for fear of it freezing up while running a screensaver-- which now it has
done.
 I am suspecting something is wrong within the individual screensaver script
that is running at the time it freezes up, and if I could eliminate the
script, I would fix the problem; but I do not know how to correlate the
picture/screensaver on the screen, with a particular script. Or it could be another
problem...

 Anyway, it is enough to drive me to write the LUG and see if anybody knows
what is wrong with 'whatever'.
 Thanks in advance for any helpful response.
 Meanwhile I will try and find a website with info on known Gnome Screensaver
problems.
 Jim U.