[TriLUG] GUI Screensaver Froze-up Problem

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Oct 11 17:37:40 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 17:05, Jturena at aol.com wrote:
> My Screensaver "froze". I do not know how to fix this problem...it has
> happened in the past.

[*snip*]

> Anyway, it is enough to drive me to write the LUG and see if anybody
> knows what is wrong with 'whatever'.
> Thanks in advance for any helpful response.
> Meanwhile I will try and find a website with info on known Gnome
> Screensaver problems.

Hi Jim,

This is a fairly common problem and is caused by flaky video drivers.
Usually, its a bug in the OpenGL driver.

There are a number of ways that you can fix it:

  1) turn off the screen-saver,

  2) set the screen-saver so that it only blanks the screen or
     uses one of the "modes" that doesn't cause lockups, or

  3) get a better-supported video card.

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com