[TriLUG] xterm scrollback won't stick

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 22:38:10 EDT 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 21:23, Neil Roeth wrote:
> On Oct 10, sholton at mindspring.com (sholton at mindspring.com) wrote:
>  > This is an xterm option.  Try
>  >
>  >   xterm -si
>  >
>  >        -si     This option indicates  that  output  to  a  window
>  >                should  not automatically reposition the screen to
>  >                the bottom of the scrolling region.   This  option
>  >                can  be  turned on and off from the ``VT Options''
>  >                menu.
>  >
>  >        +si     This option indicates  that  output  to  a  window
>  >                should cause it to scroll to the bottom.
>  >
>  > For a quick&dirty (in case you forgot to set this when you started
>  > the xterm) you should also be able to use CTRL-S to stop the
>  > terminal output and CTRL-Q to restart it again, at least in cases
>  > where you're using a legacy TTY terminal driver...
>
> <CTL>-<mouse button 2> usually brings up a menu that has the equivalent of
> the above +/-si option.  So, if you already have an xterm up you can change
> the behavior on the fly.

Thanks!  I tried both options and they almost did what I wanted.  Still,
anytime there  was new output the screen moved.  What really worked were
ctl-s & ctl-q.  I'd forgotten about them.  I hit ctl-s, scroll back, then hit
ctl-q when I'm through.  Geez, GUIs are lobotomizing me.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)