[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 v.4 (wireless PCMCIA)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 13 13:19:42 EDT 2003

It doesn't work.  The problem is that WPC11 v.4 uses a Realtek chipset
for which no open source driver exists.  Realtek won't release specs
though folks are trying to reverse-engineer it now.

You *may* be able to get binary-only drivers from Realtek's site, but
people have been reporting this as extremely difficult to make working.

You best bets are 1) get a WPC11 v3 or earlier, 2) get a different brand
like Netgear and be sure it's a PrismII chipset.  You may be able to
contact Linksys directly and have them replace the v4 card with a v3, if
you pay shipping to them.

--Jeremy