[TriLUG] Starting / Running a business???

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 10:21:51 EDT 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 22:35, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Right now, I have reason to believe that the company I'm currently
> working for, might not be around much longer.  In the process of
> deciding what
> to do next, I find myself thinking more and more about trying to start
> my own business.  So, if any of you guys or gals have been through that
> before,
> and are willing to spend some time discussing things, I'd REALLY like to
> sit down and talk with you (maybe over lunch? Crazy Fire anybody?)

Don't do it. You're nuts.  So many people fail, why would you succeed?  It's
already been tried.  Now is not the time - wait for the economy to improve.
You'll need a lot more money.  I'm not any different from anyone else, why
would anyone hire me (or my product).  It takes so much time.  That's a
stupid idea.  There's so many businesses out there already.

If any of the above causes you stop in your tracks then don't start your own
business.

You'll need to distance yourself from old biased negative influences and seek
out new un-biased negative influences (often known as clients or customers).

You'll have to embrace marketing and selling - the very stuff technicals
loathe.  Consider getting a part-time job where you sell something - anything
- face-to-face with the customer.  Selling is selling.

I'd like to join you and others for lunch anywhere in the Triangle to give
whatever encouragement I can to your folly.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)