[TriLUG] Starting / Running a business???

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 12:59:19 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 11:23, David R.Matusiak wrote:
> i think Mike was pointing out the top 10 things people will say to you
> when you mention "Hey, I'm thinking of starting a business."
>
> they are good to know in advance to keep you from having the
> deer-in-headlights look.  if you think about these negative takes
> early, prepare your responses, plan for success and then don't let the
> turkeys keep you down, you will probably be alright.
>
> think of it as "shock therapy" for prospective business owners.
> i would also like some kool aid.

Dave's exactly right.

When I started my business my "friends" and associates would not return phone
calls and were unreceptive to my pitch. Other business owners in your field
will not welcome your arrival. You are a threat.

My first and only client at the time dropped me when they got bought out by a
large company.  People that were anxious for what I was making suddenly would
not return phone calls or email.  About then a guy called me from San Diego
and after several phone discussions, sent me a check to build something for
him - he completely trusted me - for no reason - a hint that I should stay in
business.

I make most of my money with my product doing something I never thought about
- in fact I did my best to prevent it from happening - another hint that I
should stay in business.

I have no idea how long I can keep this going so I work on my growth plan and
exit plan simultaneously.

Most people have no idea of what it is that I do and are sorry if they ask
for details.

The field I am in is completely covered and the market is shrinking.  My
prospective clients are few, dispersed and never congregate.

I had to change my business name because some firm in NJ thought my name and
their trademark were too similar.

I completely dependent on a single supplier.  Now the supplier thinks I am
somewhat valuable.

I make deals by working hard for free until my clients throw money at me
because they feel guilty about using my stuff that works.  I am not getting
rich.  I am learning and building credibility.

The SBA gave me no encouragement whatsoever.  In fact, I think they try to
discourage you - it's medicine.

Most of my opportunities so far are from people interested in free-as-in-beer
software.  They could care less about free-as-in-speech software.

Starting and running a business is folly.  Only a fool and a liar will
succeed and it helps to be both.  (You cannot afford ignorance though.)
You'll start your business regardless of what anyone says to you.

Quotes I read daily:

1) Results? Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know 50,000 things
that won't work. - Edison

2) The first requisite of success is the ability to apply your physical and
mental energies to one problem without growing weary. - Edison

3) You ain't goin' nowhere, son. - Advice to Elvis Presley from manager of
"Grand Ole Opry" [1954]

If you go for it, I'll share everything I've learned about avoiding lawyers,
accountants, and other advisors until you can justify buying their help once
positive cash flow is established.  Early capital is better spent on product
development, marketing, and sales.

--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)