[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 v.4 (wireless PCMCIA)

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Tue Oct 14 16:06:11 EDT 2003

	Thanks all for your input.  I managed to get the Netgear MA521
working in spectacular fashion and realized during the driver build that it
uses the same RealTek chipset as the WPC11 v4.  In any case, I don't intend
to spend any more time configuring the interface just so I can go back and
save 10 lousy bucks (the Netgear MA521 is $10 more than the Linksys WPC11).

	This whole business of changing the chipset, but not the model
number, is very discouraging.  There's a great deal of confusion on the net
over what card uses which chipset and thanks to these vendors, people are
only learning what doesn't work.  Documentation and experience are becoming
sparse as the rapid pace, at which newer cards are released, increases.
Netgear advocates the use of the MA401 for Linux and provides drivers for
the 401 on RH7.3 and RH8, but these are useless to anyone who buys a new
card.  On the other hand, Netgear and BestBuy both tell me that the MA401 is
no longer available.  Plus, the only documentation on the Netgear site on
the MA521 was a Spanish version of the Windows ME install guide.
	A little information about the driver...I downloaded it from
RealTek's website www.realtek.com.tw.  There are some useful and necessary
modifications to the Makefile based on kernel release, etc and the scripts
to start/stop the  wlan0 interface are inadequate.  I am going to write up a
procedure for this which I will publish when I get around to it.

Matt