[TriLUG] detecting outgoing worm attacks w/ linux firewall box?

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 11:31:33 EDT 2003

I imagine that it's probably welchia or blaster...  try this on your
firewall box (or another box that sees a lot of traffic):

tcpdump -qn icmp and ip[40]=0xaa

will detect welchia traffic...  if that gets you no where then check
out this link:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
detecting.traffic.due.to.rpc.worms.html

SNORT would help you out as well....