[TriLUG] Yet another mail question

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu Oct 16 12:20:10 EDT 2003

Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Justin,
>
> I know I'm chiming in a little late on this, but here are my suggestions:
>
> I'd agree with everything you said here, but watch out for Cyrus IMAP.  It
> can be a bear to install and configure.  I tried it on my Debian box, both
> compiling, and packages, and quite frankly never got it to work correctly.
> I've got Courier IMAP working now, although I'm not sure I'm all that
> impress with the Maildir storage format that it requires (Postfix does store
> to Maildir formats, but it's not the first choice).  I think I'd be happier
> with Cyrus IMAP, if I could ever get it working.  Ah, well.  Perhaps one day
> soon.
>
> UW-IMAP, as John Carnes suggested, is easy to configure and install.
> However, there have been many discussions that I've noticed on the periphery
> that suggest some significant security issues with UW-IMAP.  Now, noting as
> I must that any server software you have running is a potential security
> breach, I'd also say that you could probably do better security-wise with
> Cyrus, or even Courier for that matter.  But as always the choice is up to
> you.  UW-IMAP might be right for you, and while I'm not 100% sure of what
> the security issues with UW-IMAP are, you might be able to mitigate the
> risks with adequate firewall protection.
>
> If you do decide to go with Cyrus, there are a number of folks here in
> TriLUG who have set Cyrus up successfully, although I've yet to hear of one
> that did it easily.  Perhaps you can get one of those to step up and give
> you a hand if you run into trouble.  If they do, please let me know who they
> are, because I would like their assistance some day. *grin*
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Pitzer

I've installed cyrus-imap twice successfully.  And even integrated with
LDAP/PAM for user authentication and authorization.  It's not as tough
as it seems.  I just had to go to a third party source to get RPMS that
worked.  There are three main sources:
http://rmorales.modwest.com/rpms/cyrus-imapd/ and
http://www.caliban.org/files/redhat/RPMS/i386/ and the one I use,
http://home.teleport.ch/simix/

The postfix that shipped with RHL 9 didn't work with SASL v2, but that's
been fixed in the errata I believe.

I'll be migrating from UW-IMAP at home to cyrus-imap.  When I do that,
I'll keep good notes and post a howto.  Of course that requires the time
to do it.

Joseph