[TriLUG] Linux intro book recommendation?

Z zzd at contentdb.net
Thu Oct 16 17:26:30 EDT 2003

On Thursday October 16 2003 02:11 pm, Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> Today my BIL asked me "How hard would it be to get linux running
> on our desktop to replace Win98 and MSOffice."
>
> I have no problem sending a 'techie' to the right resources to get
> started...but he is not a 'techie'.  Stricly an end-user type.
> I told him he needs to get a good book to explain the key differences
> between the OSes and what to expect.  I was thinking 'book' because
> a website will not help him when he gets stuck halfway through the
> configuration process :>
>
> What 'Idiot's Guide to Linux' books do y'all recommend?

The problem with a "Linux book" is that it is either distro specific or
very generic. So, instead of a book, I suggest sending him a set of
freshly burned Mandrake 9.2 CD's and letting him have at it. The
installation is so simple and (mostly) intuitive that most casual end
users should be able to get it installed and onto the net without much
of a fuss. In my opinion, he will have no more or less questions than
he would if trying to install Windows.

Then tell him to sign up on the trilug email list and post any questions
there so that he will feel that he is part of a community that cares.