[TriLUG] link-local network question

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Oct 16 18:45:55 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 05:06:58PM -0400, "P. L. Charles Fischer" <PLCFischer at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a RedHat 9.0 box which configures it's network card via DHCP from a
> firewall.  This works great, but I need the system to default to a
> "link-local" (169.???.???.???) address if DHCP fails.  Then if "link-local"
> fails, then set address to default to a static address (like 192.168.1.1).
>
> Anybody ever try this on a IPv4 network?

For the 169.x.x.x behavior you can use tools designed to work toward
this effort: http://www.zeroconf.org  specifically "zcip".  There are
other tools to configure your network differently based on nearby hosts.
It depends on what your definition of what you mean "169.x.x.x" failing.
It's difficult to detect if _anyone_ is participating on a subnet or
not.  But, you might want to configure in a certain way depending on
whether you're at home, work, or a wildcard case.

David