[TriLUG] Newbie: Kernel Question

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Fri Oct 17 09:14:25 EDT 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you wish to build your own custom kernel, the file you want is
> kernel-source-2.4.20-20.9.i386.rpm .

> That said, I really don't recommend doing this unless you have a
> specific reason, and there's no other way to get something working.
> Most users do not need to build custom kernels.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jeremy Portzer

Not trolling here, but I'm interested to know what some folks have done
in terms of customizing their stock kernels?  I've only built a few back
in the RedHat 6.2 days, but it's been awhile and I haven't looked at any
of the new features.

Of course each person will say their customization depends on the
function/hardware/configuration of their system, but what are some good
kernel success stories, and does anyone have any tips to generally
improve performance (I/O, proc, network or otherwise)?

Thanks,
Jeff