[TriLUG] Newbie: Kernel Question

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 17 10:37:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 09:14, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
<SNIP>

> Not trolling here, but I'm interested to know what some folks have done
> in terms of customizing their stock kernels?  I've only built a few back
> in the RedHat 6.2 days, but it's been awhile and I haven't looked at any
> of the new features.
>
> Of course each person will say their customization depends on the
> function/hardware/configuration of their system, but what are some good
> kernel success stories, and does anyone have any tips to generally
> improve performance (I/O, proc, network or otherwise)?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Jeff,
  I am running RH9 on my laptop which is also my work machine. My laptop
does not support APM, just ACPI. RedHat stock kernels do not support
ACPI, so I compile my own with APM support turned off and ACPI support
turned on. That's the only change I make.
  I've also added acpid to the machine. It has really cut down on the
amount of time the fan is on. I don't know that it does anything for
performance, but it sure made things quieter on my desk.

Ken

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt