[TriLUG] the new business discussion thread

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 18 11:23:01 EDT 2003

No, Al Gore didn't "invent the Internet", but if he hadn't helped the
Internet bill through Congress the Internet would have been very different
than it is today. Incidentally, the only thing he claimed was that he was the
originator of the "information highway" descriptive term for the Internet.
That is something most everyone agrees happened. This occurred because his
father was one of the members of Congress who helped get Congressional
approval for the funding for the Interstate Highway system, and Gore believed
that he was doing for the Internet was essentially the same thing as his
father had done before him.  It has always been acceptable for members of
Congress to take credit for the work they have done in Congress on projects
such as these.  Al Gore literally never claimed that he "invented the
Internet", regardless of what you've been told-  Several non-political
historians have written about this so-called internet claim, it would be
helpful if you would read them. ---  Al Johnson