[TriLUG] AOL up to it's old tricks

William Gomeringer pihlopase at pihlopase.net
Mon Oct 20 20:53:57 EDT 2003

I have recently been blocked from sending email to AOL customers from my
server. Yes, I am aware of the workarounds with /etc/postfix/transport
and /etc/postfix/main.cf and they have been working just fine until
today. Here is what those files have to allow me to send mail to
AOL/Netscape customers

/etc/postfix/transport

aol.com smtp:[smtp-server.nc.rr.com]
.aol.com smtp:[smtp-server.nc.rr.com]
rr.com smtp:[smtp-server.nc.rr.com]
.rr.com smtp:[smtp-server.nc.rr.com]

/etc/postfix/main.cf

relayhost = smtp-server.nc.rr.com

This method has worked just fine, and I believe this is the preferred
method to get around the AOL dynamic IP block, until just a few hours
ago. Has AOL found a way to block my IP again even though these rules
are in place? Is anyone else having this problem again? William