[TriLUG] Re: Re: AOL up to it's old tricks

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Tue Oct 21 11:57:43 EDT 2003

> I hit send too quickly... more to the point, how do you dynamic IP folks
> handle the problem?  dyndns.org can supply a forward pointer for your IP
> address (say monjar.dyndns.org pointing to 1.1.1.1) but since they don't
> own the 1.1.1.0 block they can't setup the reverse record, right?

no, they can't, whoever owns the netblock with ARIN (or whichever
auth.) has to have it.  Thankfully, most good ISP's have functional
DNS for the net blocks (at least in my experience), but I'm sure many
don't.

IMHO, any IP that has at least one A record pointing to should have a
PTR record away from it, although I'm sure there's exceptions to that.
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4