[TriLUG] two ide cdroms on same bus/cable problem

davis davis at skink.net
Tue Oct 21 15:38:04 EDT 2003

Hello

I am trying to get two cdrom's working on the same cable/bus and its not
working in windows, but they work in linux.  Here is the scenario:

0. two identical LG Electronics 48x cdroms.
1.  Bios sees two cdroms installed on secondary controller.  The primary
controller is empty since I am using SCSI hard-disks.
2.  One cdrom is set for master with jumpers and the other is set to slave.
The cable does not appear to be a "cable select" cable.  ie. it does not have
two different color ide conectors.  I have not ohmed out the cable to see if
line 27(i think that is the one) is opened/closed.
3.  I can mount cdrom's in either /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd. ie. the cdroms work
when I dual boot to linux!
4. In windows, the device manager shows both cdroms using the same device,
but the second cdrom has the yellow, exclamation mark icon.  Right clicking
the device icon shows a message which says "This device will not work until
the computer is rebooted."  Guess what does not work when the computer is
rebooted.
5.  All patches/service packs have been installed in windows.

summary: the two cdroms work in Linux, but not windows.  I've tried various
jumper settings, master/slave, master/no jumper, cable select for both.  There
is a similar problem in the trilug archives where a guy fixed his problem using
a different jumper.  I tried that as well and it didn't work.

obligatory ms bash (if the above was not enough): After installing windows,
during the service pack(s) install via network, my computer was infected with
the welch(sp) worm.  I have since removed the offending dll with norton
antivirus.

--
Happy Trails

John F. Davis
ABC #6334 1992 R100GSPD                    Durham, North Carolina
http://www.skink.net