[TriLUG] No More Consumer Red Hat?

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Tue Oct 21 22:17:57 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:14, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:

> >> http://fedora.redhat.com/. The name change was mostly so that the
> >> "Fedora" trademark could have different rules than the "Red Hat"
> >> trademark.  It's still the same  thing
> >> you're right, it won't be a boxed product like the previous Red Hat
> >> Linux.
> >>
> >> Is this a Good Idea(tm)?  Does the user community support this change?
> >> Any TriLUGger comments?
> >> thanks!
> >> dave m.
> >

> I have long maintained that this was a very bad idea.  I feel like Red Hat
> has abandoned us and its users who dont have a fast enough connection to
> connect to the web and obtain this product.  Many people are still on
> dial-up.  I for one plan to switch full time to SUSE LINUX 9.0, SuSE has
> not made any plans to destroy its retail selection.

You can buy Fedora Core CDs from third party providers.  see:
http://www.linuxinstall.org/fedora.php

Changing the name from "Red Hat Linux" to "Fedora Core" allows third
parties to sell the CDs with the Fedora name (i.e. no more "Pink Tie
Linux" to get around trademark restrictions on the Red Hat name).

So for those who have limited bandwidth and need to purchase CDs, Fedora
Core will actually be even easier and cheaper to obtain than Red Hat
Linux was.

Cheers,
   Brent

--