[TriLUG] Linux on IBM 43P?

davis davis at skink.net
Wed Oct 22 10:53:07 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:37:38AM +0100, Jay Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody run Linux on a IBM 43P (7049)?

Yes.  I have it on a 43p 150.  Search the debian-ppc list for
a post on how to do it.

In brief,
1. Build bin utils for cross compiler.
2. Build gcc for cross compiler.
3. Build kernel using said cross compiler.
4. Build a busybox init/user fs.
5. Export your fs with NFS.
6. tftpboot your kernel with NFS root.

If you want, you can use the debian ppc distro for pieces/all
of the above.  I now have my box using the unstable fs from debian,
but I still build the kernel using my custom compiler via
tftpboot .  Since its not high on my priority to get it to boot
from disk, I haven't played with it much more.   I never got X working,
nor raid for the same reason.  FWIW, mine is 1GB memory with 3 SCSI
18-GB drives. It makes for a hellagood nfs server.

JD

--
Happy Trails

John F. Davis
ABC #6334 1992 R100GSPD                    Durham, North Carolina
http://www.skink.net