[TriLUG] No More Consumer Red Hat?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 22 17:11:28 EDT 2003

Debian upgrade is like this:

1.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change all references from 'stable' to
'unstable'.
2.  Run apt-get update
3.  Run apt-get dist-upgrade
4.  You're done.  Have a beer.

Only reboot if you want to install a new kernel, because you don't
necessarily need one, and apt-get doesn't get one for you.  You run Debian,
you're smart enough to know what the kernel is, and probably how to compile
it, but if you don't then at the very least, you should know if you need to
install a new kernel package.  So if you want one, apt-get it yourself,
because Debian isn't going to make the assumption that you need one.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--