[TriLUG] Mandrake

Rock Roskam rock at trilug.org
Thu Oct 23 15:30:26 EDT 2003

I am new to the current Mandrake and I have some questions about it.  I am
not willing to join their club as an individual but definitely would
contribute to having a trilug account.
1.  This club mantra is very annoying.  In order to access the main forums
you have to be a member.  So far I have been going to mandrakeusers.org
for answers.  Is there a better repository for getting answers?
2.  The urpmi seems to be tied into the club mantra.  Are there sources to
go to without club status.  I have found PLF sources but want to be
certain I have found all the sources I need.
3.  Will cooker sources corrupt my urpmi for 9.2?  I wanted tuxpaint for
my kids RH9 via apt-get or yum could not handle this.  But a cooker source
gave it up to install and run.

4.  Why does maelstrom under windows try to access the firewall?

I feel a little lost and listless with Red Hats change.  I like the look
of Mandrake but the pressure for the club may be too much.  I am not ready
for a monthly fee for linux.  I do not feel ready for the challenge of
Gentoo or Debian against my hardware.

Rock