[TriLUG] Linux causes damage to LG CD-ROM drives (Dells) ?

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 24 11:46:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:02:16AM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> Noticed something interesting on the Mandrake web site:
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3#badlg
>
> "Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the
> base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM is physically
> dead.
> "Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive)
> products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux.
> Unfortunately, many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these
> CD-ROM drives.

Very odd.  I have a LG cd burner (Model=HL-DT-ST GCE-8320B according to
hdparm) in my box and have had no problems.

My machine here at work has a HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8161B LG DVD drive, again
no problems.

I'm using RedHat 9...I can't imagine what Mandrake is doing during the
install to have that effect!

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net