[TriLUG] Linux causes damage to LG CD-ROM drives (Dells) ?

davis davis at skink.net
Fri Oct 24 14:16:57 EDT 2003

Hello

If you remember, I posted a note this week about two LG cdroms not working
in a windows 2k box together but working in linux. I came upon this same
article when I googled to find out why this was a problem.  I also called
up LG tech support and they tried to help me with a registry fix.  Needless
to say, their registry fix and other things they suggested did not allow the
drives to work in the same box under windows. same cable, diff cable, jumpers,
no jumpers, etc.  The two drives would just work in windows.  There was no
problem in Linux.

About the problem noted below, its most likely BS.  Probably what happened is
the guy put a scratched CD in the drive during his tinkering and it toasted
the drive.  Why would I say that?  Well, I had a high speed sony ide
drive and it had a warning about scratched CD's possibly damaging the drive.
I thought it was a bogus warning until I damaged it after trying to get some
data off an old CD.

JD