[TriLUG] Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Sun Oct 26 22:02:00 EST 2003

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 09:22  AM, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Also of interest -- there are several projects that will be taking the
> RHEL SRPMS and rebuilding them to make a redistributable version of the
> OS.  I wonder how successful these will end up being.

Packaging of RHEL 3 has been pretty easy with less than half a dozen
exceptions.  Stripping all the RHAT references may be the bigger
challenge.

There are also projects out there that seek to have a similar market as
RHEL but completely community developed/supported.

This is very exciting.  Those who don't like/want the support offerings
of RHAT will have several viable RPM-based alternatives soon.  Choice
is a good thing.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish