[TriLUG] OT sanity check on proxy servers
Justin L. Skinner
bofh at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 30 15:02:59 EST 2003
I say bull.
But a few things to check.
A) What's the end user's IP address ? get it at www.whatismyip.com
B) What's it resolve to ? get it at www.dnsstuff.com
C) What's a trace route look like between your end user and the website ?
D) Is the site themself maybe running a reverse proxy and they don't even know it.. if you called first level support it's quite possible.
E) Maybe the end user is using Squid or something..and doesn't know it.
I guess it would also be good to note what the problem is.
Connection error, latency, random content errors.
Hope that helps.
* -----Original Message-----
* From: Daniel Monjar [mailto:daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com]
* Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 07:37 PM
* To: trilug at trilug.org
* Subject: [TriLUG] OT sanity check on proxy servers
* One of my end users is having a problem with an external site. The vendor
* of the site says that because you have xxx proxy and there is a known
* problem. I reply but we are not running xxx proxy. Vendor says "that
* doesn't matter, you could run across xxx proxy anywhere in the path from
* you to me and that will cause the problem". I'm calling bull... I'm not
* just going to stumble across a proxy server as I travel across the
* Internet, am I?
More information about the TriLUG