[TriLUG] accessing a windows shared printer from linux

H Brett Bolen brettb at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 10:48:25 EST 2003

Dan Monjar wrote:
 >  My
> challenge with the windows stuff is not understanding how samba plays
> into the mix.  Do I have to have samba running on the linux box to
> access a windows printer?  Do I have to have samba running for a windows
> system to access a linux printer?

samba lets linux talk to a windows workgroup/domain.  set up samba
normally, then use following webpage to debug:

  http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/UNIX_INSTALL.html

Test samba by itself.

test that samba is working with `smbclient`

I've had some problems with some printer.  My wifes printer
refuses to work -- it is an hp722c.  linuxprinting.org says
it work, but it doesn't for me.

good luck.