[TriLUG] OT - wolves are circling the sheep

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 14:38:11 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 11:31, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> Well, you didn't actually delete the IP address for "safety" (I have
> now).
>
> >  I marvel that anyone capable of getting a computer connected to the
> > Internet would fall for a ploy so obvious as this.
>> > We at eBay are sorry to inform you that we are having problems with the
> > billing information of your account. We would appreciate it if you would
> > visit our website <a
> > href="http://www.ebay.com:longstringofgarbage@127.0.0.1:7301/"
> > target="_blank">eBay Billing Center</a> and fill out the proper
> > information

I should have done this.  Sorry.  That IP address should have been deleted
and I would not mind if my original email is deleted from the list.  I
formally request such removal if that is necessary.

I was thinking that replacing the original text in the URL with
"longstringofgarbage" was sufficient to prevent anyone landing at the site.
(Was this assumption correct or false? I'm going to try it and see.) Even if
the assumption was correct, I agree the IP address should have been modified
as shown above.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)