[TriLUG] OT - wolves are circling the sheep

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Wed Oct 29 08:43:07 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

>He was referring to "telnet://" URLs, not HTTP.
>
>The telnet:// thing was handy back in the day when anonymous telnet
>applications were still common, for access to BBSes and library catalogs
>and such.  Now that there are anonymous telnet servers, are very rare,
>there's no need for the URL scheme telnet://.

The URI telnet:// is actually still useful. I have a list of all of my
systems that are available for testing listed on a web page, and each
has a telnet URI so that if someone wants to log in, all they have to do
is click, and off they go.

These are test systems, so telnet isn't a horrible way to log in, they
are not systems where security is a big issue.

On a tangental note, IANA maintains a list of URI schemes:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes

Peace.

john