[TriLUG] Volunteers for N&O article

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 11:52:35 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:17, Jon Carnes wrote:

> I've also switched some companies over to Open Source. There are bumps
> along the way, but no stop signs.  Surprisingly, the folks who have the
> easiest transition to Open Source are the ones who are the least
> computer literate.

I've noticed this a bit too.  The folks who are less computer literate
tend to use only the basic features of their operating system and office
suite.  Since OpenOffice.org fufills all the basic features quite well,
and Linux overall is now pretty useable without needing the command
line, these less literate users can operate fine.  It's the people who
are more entrenched in the Windows way of doing things, who know all the
ins and outs, that have more problems using OpenOffice.org.

However, new users will be stymied if they get a document with complex
formatting that is displayed incorrectly in OOo.  This still happens
frequently enough that I am reluctant to push it further in my
organization.

--Jeremy