[TriLUG] Re: Why evolution?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Oct 30 00:39:25 EST 2003

Lance A. Brown wrote:

>>b) GPG signing verification horribly broken when using IMAP.
>

> I'm using IMAP, courier-imap to be exact, and have no problems with
> verifying gpg signatures or signing messages I send out.

The exact problem is this.  According to the PGP/MIME spec, the
mime headers of the part being signed are included in what's
signed.  Because of this, the signed section should be treated
as opaque (that is, not changed in *ANY* way).  Unfortunately,
if you have a big enough message, Evolution downloads each
mime section separately and in the process can change the
headers (upper casing everything sometimes, slightly
reformating, etc...).  This completely breaks gpg signatures
but note that you won't see it if your message is below
a certain threshold.

>>d) Complete instability of later versions of evo to run on my system
>>    (this one is probably specific to me).
>

> I find evo is quite stable for me.

I said this one was specific to me.  It's anecdotal evidence
at best.  I wouldn't be surprised to find an equal number of
people who had experiences on each side.

> On the other hand, Thundebird, at least on Red Hat 9 boxes, has problems
> getting *all* of the folder structure initially.  Some of my folder
> structure is 3 or 4 layers deep, Inbox.Inboxes.sw.squirelmail.plugins
> for example, and I have to go through and close/open the subfolders in
> order to make Tbird see everything every time I start it.  It's annoying
> and I need to file a bug on it.

Hmm.. I have not seen this problem myself.  Which version of Thunderbird
are you using?  Have you tried it with version 0.3?  How about straight
mozilla mail?

> If not for that bug, I would probably switch to Tbird full time
> everywhere.

Well, then, file a bug. :-)  The sooner you do, the sooner someone
will fix it. :-)

Cheers,
Tanner