[TriLUG] Mirroring RedHat 9 (bootable ISO)

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Thu Oct 30 08:38:57 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 15:34, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
>>Finally, I tried burning the resulting image (test_boot.iso) to a CD.
>>Now I can't get the system to auto-boot to the new CD!!!  Maybe I'm just
>>not that familiar with writing an *.iso with eroaster, but I think I'm
>>pretty close.  Anyone have other suggestions?  Possibly the best way to
>>burn an *.iso?
>

> There are additional steps needed to make a CD bootable.  There is an
> additional portion that is not in the "ISO" format.  Read one of the
> "distribution building" HOWTOs for details, I don't recall at the moment
> how it's done.
>
> --Jeremy

Not to beat a dead horse, but I thought I'd post this, at least so it
might make the archive and someone searching for the right flags on the
web might find it.  Here's how I invoked mkisofs to burn a bootable CD
using a modified RedHat ISO:

$ mkisofs -o new_iso_name.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -l -R -r new_iso_folder

I was able to boot from a CD burned with the resulting
(new_iso_name.iso) image and install from there.  I still haven't been
able to verify whether the FTP install works or not (I ran out of blank
CDs!) by trying: 'linux updates' as soon as the host boots.  More work
needed...why can't/doesn't RedHat just modify their boot.iso image to
work with FTP installs again??  They haven't jumped off the consumer
grade RedHat yet have they?

Thanks,
Jeff