[TriLUG] Why evolution?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 31 09:37:42 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 09:06, Michael Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 13:25, Ilan Volow wrote:
> > Don't feel guilty about criticizing free software. For windows
> > alternatives to become usable, the linux world needs to stop worrying
> > about offending FOSS developers and themselves develop a culture of
> > intense software criticism like you have on the mac. It should be okay
> > to say "this software sucks".
>
> <venting> Ok, Thunderbird SUCKS!  Evolution SUCKS!  If they ran reliably
> then I'd say otherwise, I really like the features they are *trying* to
> perfect, but either way both programs are dogs right now.  Evolution
> would be nice if it would ever shut down properly without requiring
> that I kill a million processes before trying to reload it.  Thunderbird
> would be nice if it would run more than once before having to delete
> the ~/.thunderbird directory and start from scratch EVERY time I try to
> fscking load it. </venting>
>
> This coming after I get to work this morning and have to 'kick' Evolution
> to get it to process 200 messages through my filters.  Damn piece of crap.
>
> Arggggh!
>
> Guess its time to check out console based mail clients...
>
> --mike

On a different data point, I've been running evolution for over a year
and it's been working great!  I'm currently running version 1.22 on RH9.
Also I *love* the calendaring.  The only thing it's missing is the
ability to drag and drop a message onto the calendar (so I can create an
appointment based on the email - with the email content as the content
of the appointment).

I used an earlier version of evolution for awhile and had to use
"killev" every now and then (it would lock up on collisions with other
apps like filters that were running on my mail spool). This version has
run great though.

Jon Carnes