[TriLUG] Why evolution?

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 11:13:47 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 09:06, Michael Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 13:25, Ilan Volow wrote:
> > Don't feel guilty about criticizing free software. For windows
> > alternatives to become usable, the linux world needs to stop worrying
> > about offending FOSS developers and themselves develop a culture of
> > intense software criticism like you have on the mac. It should be okay
> > to say "this software sucks".
>
> <venting> Ok, Thunderbird SUCKS!  Evolution SUCKS!
<snip>
> Guess its time to check out console based mail clients...

Venting.  Something I proudly do well :-).

I use kmail in an icewm environment.  It drags in KDE crap.  After a couple
of days I have to log out and log back in to clear the KDE memory leaks (or
whatever it's doing to slow me down to a crawl.  If I accidentally use
Konqueror I'll be gummed up in about 2 hours. (Same thing happens under KDE
so it's _not_ icewm.) I am underwhelmed with communities of programs (KDE,
Gnome, etc.).  They do a 90% job on a lot of stuff instead of a 99% job on a
few things. That last 9% is expensive to provide but I seem to find it
missing.  I'm going to try Mutt next.  I don't need a new skin and more
buttons on a email client every 18 months.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)