[TriLUG] self-support alternatives to Novell/SUSE & RHEL

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Nov 4 10:29:04 EST 2003

It's becoming increasingly apparent that the community needs an
RPM-based distro that is community driven rather than profit driven.
Profit isn't a bad thing, and I wish Red Hat & Novell well in their
commercial ventures, but their business models do not serve
self-supporting shops.  Many orgs have been winging it with Red Hat
Linux (the consumer distro) and have expressed a lack of confidence in
the Fedora Project.

While this project doesn't perfectly meet my needs either, I've started
participating in the cAos-el project ( http://www.caosity.org/ ) which
is basically taking RHAS 2.1 and augmenting it from there.  I'm
personally working on a related project, based on RHEL 3 (for those of
you that were following in IRC last night, I've got about 1,000 binary
RPM's done now).  Anyway the goal is to have an umbrella organization
for packaging up an enterprise class distribution with long life
cycles.  There is considerable financial support coming from some big
names to make this project happen.

I've only just signed on yesterday so I don't know all the ins and outs
of the project yet.  I'm just raising it as one alternative to all of
the whining aimed at Red Hat (and now Novell) which I too am guilty of.
  There is already quite a lot of activity in this distro, despite what
the sparse web site would suggest, so check out the mailing lists & IRC
channel to learn more.

I know with Windows we weren't empowered to do much more than b*tch
when we were handed changes that we didn't like.  This is Open Source.
Each and every one of us is empowered to fix things we don't like.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish